Statement of Purpose
Women in Film and Media is dedicated to improving the status and portrayal of women in film, video and other screen based media. With an emphasis on education, we serve our members and the community by providing access to opportunities within the industry and working with other non-profit organizations dedicated to helping women and children. We are passionate about our vision to empower promote, support, and mentor the community through a network of valuable programs and events.
Mentoring and Empowering Women
WIFM’s signature service to the community is its Public Service Announcement Program. Each year, WIFM members collaborate with professional filmmakers to produce PSAs to benefit non-profit organizations assisting women and children. Pittsburgh professionals mentor and supervise mentees in an atmosphere that gives them hands-on experience in film production: from concept development to finished PSAs.
PSAs produced since 2007 are:
- 2015: “Three Cups of Coffee“, – for Three Cups of Coffee, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2011: “Hair Peace Charities“, – for Hair Peace, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2010: “Domestic Abuse” - for Crisis Center North (CCN), Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2008: “Safe Sleep” (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) – for Cribs for Kids, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2007: “Will Work for Equality” – for Women and Girls Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA.